Buckinghamshire Railway Centre; Quainton; North British 0-6-0T; Steam Engine; Locomotive; Train; Coventry No.1; Restored; Preserved
Built in 1939 for Warwickshire Coal Company, Coventry Colliery. It was the last industrial steam engine built by the North British company. In 1963 it went to Newdigate Colliery, nr Bedworth. In 1970 it was sold to Quainton Railway Society, where it arrived in 1971.
Buckinghamshire Railway Centre; Quainton; South Africa Railways; SAR; Restoration; Preservation; Narrow Gauge; Locomotive; Steam Engine; Train
This 25NC Class Loco is one of over 100 built by the North British Locomotive Company in 1953 for South Africa Railways. Works No. 27291. Although it is hard to believe the engine is narrow gauge(3 feet 6 inches). The loco weighs in at 117tons and the tender 105tons. It was repatriated to the UK in 1991 by the North British Locomotive Society, which amalgamated with the Quainton Railway Society in 2006.
Built In 1940 for War Department. First used at Donnington Depot in Shropshire until 1945(with number DONN1). Eventually acquired by ESSO for use at their Purfleet complex. They donated it to BRC in 1983 in full working order. Seen bearing number WD849.
Built in 1874 to a design by Joseph Beattie. BR No.30585. It survived along with two other members of the class on the Wenford Bridge china clay branch in Cornwall, due to there being no other engines available that could handle the lightly laid track and sharp curves. It completed 1,314,835 miles in its main line life, before withdrawal in 1963. It has been at Quainton since 1969.
Buckinghamshire Railway Centre; Quainton; Hall Class; Modified Hall; Wightwick Hall; Restoration; Preservation; GWR; Western Region; British Railways
Built by British Railways to a Great Western Railway design in 1948. It cost £9686.Based at Hereford shed when new, moving to Gloucester in 1962. It was withdrawn in 1964 & arrived at Quainton in 1978.