Project architect Alan Clark worked closely with landscape architect Kenneth Booth, in order to ensure that the station merged as seamlessly as possible into its natural surroundings. In this respect, the power station is unique amongst British coal-fired stations. When viewed from Ironbridge, the surroundings of the station are hidden by wooded hills. The cooling towers were deliberately constructed using concrete to which a red pigment had been added, to blend with the colour of the local soil. This had cost £11,000 in the 1960s. The towers cannot be seen at all from the world famous landmark, The Iron Bridge. The station's single 205 m (670 ft) high chimney is fifth tallest chimney in the UK. It is the tallest structure in Shropshire, as well as being taller than Blackpool Tower and London's BT Tower. The station's turbine hall is decoratively clad in chipped granite faced concrete panels, aluminium sheeting, and glazing. The turbine hall obscures the rather more functional metal clad boiler house from view. A free-standing administration block continues the theme of concrete panelling, albeit with extensive use of large floor to ceiling windows. Period fittings within the administration block include a board room, containing murals that reference the industries of the Ironbridge Gorge, and a grand entrance hall with a metallic mural. So impressive were the measures taken to ensure that the power station was an asset to the gorge and not an eyesore, that it was short listed
bridge; historic; cast-iron; Industrial Revolution; River Severn; springtime; spring; outdoors; colour; color; England; cast iron bridge; United Kingdom; Britain; British Isle; Europe; British; English
The Ironbridge near Telford in Shropshire. The world's first cast iron bridge and seat of the Industrial Revolution.
The Museum of the Gorge; Ironbridge Gorge Museums; 'World Heritage Site; industrial heritage; Shropshire; tourist attraction; Buildings; England; UK; United Kingdom; Weltkulturerbe; Attraktion; Sehenswuerdigkeiten; Aussenaufnahme von Gebaeuden; Museum
The Museum of the Gorge provides an introduction to the valley and its attractions. The museum building was originally a somewhat gothic riverside warehouse where the fine porcelain goods from the Coalbrookdale company began there journey to the rest of the world. Das Museum of the Gorge in Ironbridge.
cooling towers Ironbridge electricity generation coal-fired Shropshire environmental camouflage stone coloured red power station stations Severn valley red coloured
Ironbridge was selected to be the site of a large, modern "super station" by the West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority, in February 1927. The land had been identified earlier by Walsall Borough as being suitable for power generation, in 1924. The close proximity of the River Severn and several railway lines provided excellent access to both cooling water and a source for the delivery of coal. The flat land of the site, formed by fluvial processes at the end of the last ice-age, was ideal for the construction of a large turbine hall. Ironbridge A Construction of the first Ironbridge Power Station (later to become known as Ironbridge A Power Station) began in 1929, and the first phase was completed in 1932. The station officially opened on the 13 October 1932. The full generating capacity of Ironbridge A was not realised until major expansions and the commissioning of extra boilers and generating sets had been completed in 1939. This gave the A Station a total generating output of 200 megawatts (MW). As a result of the increasing demand for electricity after the World War II, it was decided by the Central Electricity Generating Board that a new, larger, 1000 MW power station called Ironbridge B, was to be constructed alongside the A Station. Ironbridge A ceased generating electricity in 1981 and was demolished in 1983. Ironbridge B Parliamentary approval for Ironbridge B Power Station was sought and granted in 1962. Construction began in 1963, with the aim to begin generating