• Triumphal Arch, Portmeirion

    Image ID
    FOT636518
    Rights
    RM Rights Managed
    Image Details
    Image File Attributes
    5.8 MB
    JPEG
    Image Dimensions
    2000 x 3008 px
    Image Print Size (at 300 ppi)
    169 x 255 mm
    6.7 x 10.0 in
    Visual Size @300ppi
    Keywords
    Triumphal Arch Rococo Clough Williams Ellis Patrick McGoohan The Prisoner Snowdon Wales UK The Round House Portmeirion Caryatid
    Description
    Triumphal Arch was built in 1963/4 and defines the northern limit of the village providing vehicular access to the village ring road which runs round to the toll booth. It is Rococo style, and sports a rounded arched pediment instead of the original pointed arch designed by Clough. The statue in the arch is an early nineteenth-century wooden model for a series of lead Caryatids illustrated in Weaver's English Leadwork. The statue was formerly located next to the Hercules Hall, when there was a seating area on the site of the present Tudor Room. The shields have mermaids on them, and the original template for the design is located in the Pantheon. Clough Williams Ellis opened Portmeirion in 1926 to demonstrate how a naturally beautiful site could be developed without spoiling it Patrick McGoohans enigmatic television series The Prisoner was filmed on location at Portmeirion in 1966-67 number 6 Snowdon Wales
    Uploader
    David John Carton
    Contributor
    David John Carton
    Date Taken
    2006-07-14
    Uploaded on
    2009-11-26
    Collection
    Portmeirion
    Category
    Travel
    Sub Category
    Holidays
    Setting
    Outdoor
    Point of view
    Above camera
    People
    Without people
    Dominant colour
    #101000