• Village Green & Bristol Colonnade

    Image ID
    RM Rights Managed
    Image Details
    Image File Attributes
    5.1 MB
    Image Dimensions
    2910 x 1903 px
    Image Print Size (at 300 ppi)
    246 x 161 mm
    9.7 x 6.3 in
    Visual Size @300ppi
    Bristol Colonnade Colofnres Bryste Gothic William Reeve village green Pantheon Chantry Portmeirion Clough Williams Ellis Patrick McGoohan The Prisoner Snowdon Wales UK
    Opened by Earl Russell on April 10, 1959. Inscription on it reads: "This colonnade, built circa 1760 by the Quaker copper smelter William Reeve, stood before his bathhouse at Arnos Court, Bristol. Damaged by bombs, it had fallen to decay and although scheduled as an Ancient Monument, Her Majesty's Minister of Works approved its removal on condition that it should be rescheduled. Admired by its alert contemporary Horace Walpole for its grace as a Classical composition, enriched by Gothic detail, it was also held in regard by the Council for the Preservation of Ancient Bristol whose good offices and the generosity of its former owners, the Bristol Tramways & Carriage Company have made possible its presentation at Portmeirion." The Colonnade was restored in 1987. Clough Williams Ellis opened Portmeirion in 1926 to demonstrate how a naturally beautiful site could be developed without spoiling it Patrick McGoohans enigmatic television series The Prisoner was filmed on location at Portmeirion in 1966-67 number 6 Snowdon Wales. Chantry was originally constructed as an art studio for the Welsh painter, Augustus John, but he never took up residency here. Its tower has a painted clockface, which marks the highest point in the village.
    David John Carton
    David John Carton
    Date Taken
    Uploaded on
    Sub Category
    Dominant colour