• Woodwalton, St Andrew's

    Image ID
    FOT635379
    Rights
    RM Rights Managed
    Image Details
    Image File Attributes
    1.7 MB
    JPEG
    Image Dimensions
    4000 x 3064 px
    Image Print Size (at 300 ppi)
    339 x 259 mm
    13.3 x 10.2 in
    Visual Size @300ppi
    Keywords
    Church religion religious Christianity worship Cambridgeshire England
    Description
    Known as one of the "Friendless Churches" St Andrew's, Woodwalton is currently closed. The church consists of a chancel (26¼ ft. by 12 ft.), organ chamber and vestry on the north (9 ft. by 5¾ ft.), nave (39 ft. by 13¾ ft.), north aisle (7¼ ft. wide), south aisle (7½ ft. wide), west tower (10 ft. by 9¼ ft.), and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with tiles, stone-slates and lead. The church is mentioned in the Domesday Survey (1086). This early church probably consisted of an aisleless nave of the same length as the present, and a chancel. About 1250 a south aisle was added, the arcade of which remains. The chancel was rebuilt about eighty years later; and the north arcade was formed, or rebuilt, and the clearstory added early in the 16th century. The tower appears to have been of 14th-century date. The church was restored in 1856–59, when the aisle walls, the tower and the porch were rebuilt and a vestry added. The features of the aisles and tower were probably reproduced in the new work, as the square-headed 14th-century window is a local characteristic. (fn. 122) The vestry was rebuilt in 1897. The porch and western end of the south aisle were again rebuilt in 1906; and the vestry was altered to form an organ chamber in 1911.
    Uploader
    Shaun Michael Dymond
    Contributor
    Shaun Michael Dymond
    Date Taken
    2006-11-08
    Uploaded on
    2009-11-22
    Collection
    Churches
    Category
    Architecture
    Sub Category
    Religious
    Setting
    Outdoor
    Point of view
    Eye level
    People
    Without people
    Dominant colour
    #E09080