Built In 1940 for War Department. First used at Donnington Depot in Shropshire until 1945(with number DONN1). Eventually acquired by ESSO for use at their Purfleet complex. They donated it to BRC in 1983 in full working order. Seen bearing number WD849.
railway, railway preservation, Dennis Howells, BR(WR) 94XX Class 0-6-0PT, 9466, 94XX pannier tanks, Great Western Railway, R & W Hawthorn Ltd, A. Leslie and Co, Quainton, Neasden, The Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, British railways, connex, network rail, railtrack, southern region, locomotive, loco, engine, steam, steam engine, steam locomotive, train, railways, railroad, special train, charter train, lu, London underground, chorley wood, station, railway electrical equipment, steam on the met, locomotive headboard
Buckinghamshire Railway Centre; Quainton; South Africa Railways; SAR; Restoration; Preservation; Narrow Gauge; Locomotive; Steam Engine; Train
This 25NC Class Loco is one of over 100 built by the North British Locomotive Company in 1953 for South Africa Railways. Works No. 27291. Although it is hard to believe the engine is narrow gauge(3 feet 6 inches). The loco weighs in at 117tons and the tender 105tons. It was repatriated to the UK in 1991 by the North British Locomotive Society, which amalgamated with the Quainton Railway Society in 2006.
Built in 1874 to a design by Joseph Beattie. BR No.30585. It survived along with two other members of the class on the Wenford Bridge china clay branch in Cornwall, due to there being no other engines available that could handle the lightly laid track and sharp curves. It completed 1,314,835 miles in its main line life, before withdrawal in 1963. It has been at Quainton since 1969.