• Fort Laramie trading post Oregon Trail

    Image ID
    FOT454074
    Rights
    RM Rights Managed
    Image Details
    Image File Attributes
    45.7 MB
    JPEG
    Image Dimensions
    16200 x 10800 px
    Image Print Size (at 300 ppi)
    1372 x 914 mm
    54.0 x 36.0 in
    Visual Size @300ppi
    Keywords
    Trading Post Fort Laramie Fort Laramie was built by William Sublette and Robert Campbell in 1834. It obtained its name from the nearby River Laramie. Originally the fort was mainly used by mountain men trading furs and in 1838 was acquired by the Hudson's Bay Company. The fort had fifteen-foot adobe walls and a square earthen tower with loopholes. Inside the fort was a collection of small apartments, each with a door and window opening internally. in 1841 Fort Laramie began to be used by wagon trains. Emigrants could buy provisions from the fort such as meat, rice, coffee, sugar and flour. However, many items were often unavailable. Visitors could also employ the blacksmith to shoe horses and repair wagon wheels. It is estimated that between 1840 and 1860 some 200, 000 emigrants stopped at the fort on on their way to California and Oregon. Mormons heading for Utah also obtained supplies from the fort. The Californian Gold Rush in 1849 brought more travelers to Fort Laramie. Later it became a military post and served as a base for military operations, communication, supply and logistics during the Great Sioux War. Fort Laramie was eventually closed in 1890.
    Uploader
    Rob Weaver
    Contributor
    Rob Weaver
    Date Taken
    2008-08-05
    Uploaded on
    2008-08-05
    Collection
    A3 . American Gateway to West continued WYOMING COLORADO WEST HISTORY AND ROCKY MOUNTAINS AND PARKS C
    Category
    Lifestyle
    Sub Category
    Shopping
    Setting
    Outdoor
    Dominant colour
    #302020