• A wave to the passengers on the 1880 tra

    Image ID
    FOT453545
    Rights
    RM Rights Managed
    Image Details
    Image File Attributes
    48.2 MB
    JPEG
    Image Dimensions
    16200 x 10800 px
    Image Print Size (at 300 ppi)
    1372 x 914 mm
    54.0 x 36.0 in
    Visual Size @300ppi
    Keywords
    The first steam engine in the Black Hills was brought across the prairie by bull team to the Homestake Mining Company at Lead in 1879. In 1881, the Home-stake Company created the first narrow-gauge railroad in the Black Hills to haul its cargo and the public from Lead to several mining camps. In 1885, the first standard-gauge railroad reached Buffalo Gap, Dakota Territory, and was extended on into Rapid City the next year. The standard-gauge Burlington branch that came to host the 1880 TRAIN's operations was built in several portions between Hill City and Keystone during the central Black Hills mining boom in the 1890s and the first month of 1900. The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (hereafter referred to as the Burlington for simplicity), pushed its line into the southwestern corner of the newly-created state of South Dakota in November of 1889. In the spring of 1890, construction of this began at Edgemont as the first phase of the "High Line".dog red people Labrador German Shepperd walk walking hello greeting
    Uploader
    Rob Weaver
    Contributor
    Rob Weaver
    Date Taken
    2008-08-03
    Uploaded on
    2008-08-03
    Collection
    A3 . American Gateway to West continued WYOMING COLORADO WEST HISTORY AND ROCKY MOUNTAINS AND PARKS C
    Category
    Travel
    Sub Category
    Customs
    Dominant colour
    #507030