UK, United Kingdom, Great Britain, Wales, Brecon, Cathedral, Font, 11th Century, Norman, Holy, Baptism, Religion, Religious Practice, Church in Wales, Sculpture, Sculpted, Sculpting, Carved, Carving, Stone,
St Stephen; statue; Medieval Cathedral; Cathedral spires; Lichfield; Midlands; United Kingdom; Staffordshire; small cathedral city; Anglo Saxon heritage; market town; coaching centre;
Lichfield is the only medieval Cathedral in Britain with three spires, a dramatic symbol of the Trinity. The first Bishop was recorded in AD669. There are 113 statues on the west front of the building and 766 Carved heads in the Cathedral.
detail tiled roof St. Stephen's Cathedral Stephansdom Stephansplatz Vienna Austria tile tiles tiled tiling Architecture medieval Gothic building Europe European church religious travel tourism historic monument Wien
St. Stephen's Cathedral (German: Stephansdom). Its current Romanesque and Gothic form seen today, situated at the heart of Vienna, Austria in the Stephansplatz, was largely initiated by Rudolf IV and stands on the ruins of two earlier churches, the first being a parish church consecrated in 1147. Founded in 1137 following the Treaty of Mautern, the partially-constructed Romanesque church was solemnly dedicated in 1147 to St. Stephen. Although the first structure was completed in 1160, major reconstruction and expansion lasted until 1511, and repair and restoration projects continue to the present day. From 1230 to 1245, the initial Romanesque structure was extended westward; the present-day west wall and Roman towers date from this period. In 1304, Albert I ordered a Gothic three-nave choir to be constructed east of the church, wide enough to meet the tips of the old transepts. Under his son Albert II, work continued on the Albertine choir, which was consecrated in 1340 on the 77th anniversary of the previous consecration. On 7 April 1359, Rudolf IV laid in the vicinity of the present south tower the cornerstone for a westward Gothic extension of the Albertine choir. This expansion would eventually encapsulate the entirety of the old church, and in 1430, the edifice of the old church was removed from within as work progressed on the new cathedral. The south tower was completed in 1433, and the vaulting of the nave—begun in 1446—was complete in 1474. The Diocese of Vienna was canonica
vertical upright blue sky white cloud spring yellow red flowers flower bed park St Saint Stephen's Green Stephen Stephens town city centre center urban Republic of Ireland TOGUIDE Fusiliers arch — north corner of St Stephen's green